Saturday, August 25, 2012

Early Sunday Morning - Alaska Memories

Yesterday was a great summer day here in Buffalo.  Road my bike around my neighborhood, ran into a Christian friend of mine at Tim Hortons's and had the opportunity to talk to him about Mexico missions, cut the grass at my home in South Buffalo, learned of Neil Armstrong's passing and won an auction on ebay; a used  smart phone that I submitted the winning bid, and paid $41.25 for.   Looking forward to the mail man this coming Thursday.

I also did some remenicing of my younger days when I fished up in Alaska.  Here are some photos I was able to turn into digital photos this week so I could post them here and also in a book I am planning to write of my Alaska adventures.  Here are some of those photos.

                                   Fishing for Herring In Prince William Sound, Alaska - 1977


Here's a couple of purse seiner fishing boast that caught the herring.



A view of Mt. Augustine - An active volcano at the time.  I took this photo from the deck of the Odyssey, the herring tender that I worked on as a deckhand.


Hauling in the catch from the purse seiner.


Deckhand using brailer to off load herring from the boat that caught it to our vessel.


My skipper Jay Stinson, examining the progress in the hold of the fishing boat.


The Odyssey on Lake Union, Seattle.  I took this photo from the house boat that I lived on after my time up in Alaska.  The Odyssey was returning from another season of fishing.


Here's a view of the the fishing grounds from the wheel house of the Odyssey.  I served as helmsman whenever it was my watch.





Heading for the cannery in Seward, Alaska with tons of herring above and below deck in the ships holds.



The Odyssey in Alaskan waters.


Loaded with herring.  Heading home to the cannery in Seward, Ak.



Transferring herring with the fish pump.


No comments:

Post a Comment