Thursday, February 2, 2012

At The Library In Juarez

                                       The Library in the community known as Zapata where
                                                       I live in the city of Juarez, Mexico


This morning I took a slow walk from my casa about a mile to the library in Zapata, a community here in Juarez close to where I live.  I will have a photo of this shortly.  Here at the Spanish speaking library I have made two friends who keep the doors open two different times of the day.  Their names are Marteen and Rammiro.  Both of them speak enough english to communicate with me.  Although I cannot check out books they do allow me to be here and read and use my own computer (not their's which they have 4 of and others use them).  Well it's time to visit Juventud con Vision Children's Home. I'm on my way.

           
                  Juventud con Vision Children's Home here in Juarez.  A photo I took on a previous mission here.  It's the building on the right, home for my long time young friends who still live there; Damaris, Diana, Aleejandro, Aaron, and a new young person named Adrian.  I visit here usually a couple times per week, taking the time to fellowship and see what's new in their lives.

A few hours later:

I just returned from my visit to Juventud con Vision to spend some time with the kids I know there and see what is new with them.  Spent some time talking with sister Patti who runs things there during the day time and found out from her that Saturday will be here last day.  With a little sadness she confided that working there as enjoyable as it has been was taking time away from her husband and family.  I know she will be missed by the kids there but she has promised to return from time to time to her new extended family at Juventud.  

My favorite little tortilla shop, freshly made and baked in the store.

While I was there I was treated to a couple of burritos made with freshly baked tortillas still warm in the plastic bag that I bought from a local tortilla store, a small tortilla making facility.  Here's a photo of the place.  A small package of about a dozen large soft tortillas costs 10 pesos ( about 75 cents).

Yesterday I decided to walk across the border bridge back into El Paso to check my mail at the Post Office and to visit the El Paso Library.  I received my first $30.00 check in the mail from the Driver Safety Course that I taught a week ago.  I am scheduled to teach two more or these courses this month of February and two more in March.  This is my only source of income at the moment besides waiting on God to provide missionary support from those who I am in fellowship with who believe in providing missionary support for what I am doing here in Juarez.

Their have been a few who have done this for me since arriving in Juarez 3 1/2 months ago but I haven't received anything in 6 weeks now except a small timely gift from a new friend of mine in El Paso.  Thank you again brother for your generous and gracious spiritual gift.

And thank you mission friends and partners; Ray Smith, Ray Knutsen, Alex Klochko, Alan Duitsman, Lucille Mingarelli, and Hiram Texidor, who have made these last 3 1/2 months possible for me, I couldn't be doing what God has me doing here without your faith, prayers and previous support for me here.  Eight more weeks remain for me here before returning to hometown Buffalo to re-connect with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment