Friday, April 6, 2012

5th Day in Spartanburg

This morning I am recalling once again the work that brought me back down to the Juarez/El Paso area this past October, 2011.

I travelled this past October for several reasons; the first and main reason was  to work a week; October 22-29 at a new children's home that I discovered being built in the town of Guadalupe, Mexico which is about 30 miles south of El Paso, TX on the US border town of Fabens, TX. Guadalupe is across the border from Fabens and that is where a man name Steven Brewer the founder and director of Tapestries of Life Ministries is building the largest children's home in all of Mexico and Latin America.  When completed this will be a home for over 300 of Mexico's neediest children.

I went with another brother in the Lord that I have known for 26 years since my salvation who still lives where I met him and where I was saved in Seattle, Wa.  He flew to Asheville, NC  to meet me there and then we both flew together to El Paso to begin our work week at House of Gems Children's home in Guadalupe.  We stayed at team headquarters in Fabens and each morning and evening we crossed the border in our vans to work and then return to the American side to sleep and get ready for another work day.

Our  mission was to lay the foundation for the new cafeteria that is being built there that will provide hundreds of meals 3 times each day for the future kids who will be living here.  Here are some photos I took on a recent visit back there on March 22, 2012 to see the progress since i was there last.  Pretty much, things are the same as when I left back on October 29 accept for the addition of more cement blocks put down and in place ready for the pouring of the cement floor which will be the next big project for future teams this year to complete.




        Pastor Steve Brewer and I on Thursday, March, 22, 2012 at House of Gems Children's Home
                                                                      Guadalupe, Mexico


Meanwhile Back to the Present Here in Spartanburg, SC

Several times this week we have driven by this construction site in here in Spartanburg, SC.  I found out from my friend Alex that this will be a building for Amazon the dot com book company.  We have been amazed at how quickly the walls are going up now that the foundation has been laid.  A giant crane lifts huge sections of the wall into place.  These sections are made of concrete and we are wondering if they were made here on site or trucked in some how.  Each day the building progresses and the rate at which it does shows us that they mean business.  At the rate they are building this building will soon be up.

Today is Good Friday and tonight we will be in church again.  I may get another opportunity to speak this evening so I am praying about that.  It is much cooler this morning than it has been since I arrived this past Sunday afternoon.  Later this afternoon we are expecting temps to be in the high 60's perhaps even 70.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment